40 Years and counting…
Faith congregation has long been known for its education interest. The congregation began on April 9, 1948. The kindergarten was opened on September 5th by Mildred Pease with 21 pupils. A new educational building was built, which today is the Flora “Bee” Littlefield Early Childhood Center, and the children came. In 1955, 86 children graduated from kindergarten in two classes, taught by Jean Powell and Lucille Grummer. Millie Muller’s 4-year-old class took part in the ceremony. A bus was purchased in 1956 to transport the children, with David Donaldson and Doris Myher sharing the driving responsibilities. Two five-year-old and one four-year-old class met in the morning and one five-year-old class in the afternoon. In September of 1957, the enrollment was limited to five-year-olds, with 65 enrolled. Over the years, enrollment dwindled, until in 1966 only 23 we enrolled in kindergarten. The kindergarten closed in 1967.
Several years later, in June of 1974, under the direction of Rev. Glienke, a committee began a feasibility study for the opening of a Christian Day School. The school opened in August of 1975 with only 2 students in the combined first and second grade. The next year, a combined 4 and 5-year-old kindergarten was added with both before and after school child care, under the direction of Bee Littlefield. As the years progressed the school has grown to include the 2 1/2 to 4-year-old preschool program through the 8th grade.
God richly blessed the congregation through the “Forward in Remembrance Thank Offering” in 1981. The Synod had called upon the congregations to raise a proposed 40 million dollars. Faith congregation, with all of its challenges, pledge over $20,000.00 to this special effort. This was nearly 3 times the expected amount. When it became apparent that over $74,000,000.00 would be raised by the “Forward in Remembrance Thank Offering”, Faith explained the need to expand its school facilities and was awarded a grant of $100,000.00. The congregation immediately began its own fundraising program and by securing a low cost loan was able to build the 4 classrooms and office facing Hialeah Drive. The total complex was dedicated on April 29, 1984, with Dr. Hyatt as the guest speaker and 386 souls thanking and praising God.
The faithful financial and volunteer support of the congregation has been a tremendous blessing to the 900 plus students who have been enrolled in the past 40 years. The Rev. Glienke served the congregation as a missionary to the Hispanics from 1970 to 1974, as bilingual Pastor of the congregation from 1974 to 1992, when he retired, Rev. Mark Wessling accepted the call as Pastor. Rev. Glienke also served as the principal of the school for 10 years (1975 to June 1980 for 5 years and Sept. 1981 to June 1986 for 5 years). Carlos Gomez served as principal from 1980 to 1981, Ian McDonald for 3 years from 1986 to 1988, Mark Abresch for 4 years from 1989 to 1992, David Birnbaum for 5 years from 1993 to 1997, Richard Bultemeyer for 2 years from 1997 to 1999, and Ruth Wessling from 1999 to the present.
Under the wonderful grace of God, Faith congregation looks forward to the joy of serving the community through Christian Education at Faith Lutheran School for many more years to come.
Presently, Faith Lutheran School offers the following: preschool (ages 2 ½ – 4), elementary school (Kindergarten through grade 8), before-school and after-school care, and summer child-care programs.
293 Hialeah Drive
Hialeah, FL 33010
Church (305) 888-6706 | School (305) 885-2845